Upcoming Big Events Calendar
- Winter Break Camp
December 22, 2014 - January 2, 2015; Hanley Chess Academy; Irvine, CA. 92612
- American Youth Chess Festival
January 16-19, 2015; Hanley Chess Academy & Atrium Hotel; Irvine, CA. 92612
- 2015 Morrison Scholastic
January 24, 2015; Ladera Vista Elem. Fullerton, CA.
Offering:Youth classes (Ages 4-18) Youth tournaments (Ages 4-18)Youth Camps (Ages 4-18)Private LessonsTravel to Compete in National and State Tournaments5 Scholastic Regional tournaments each year.
What We Stand For and Believe Children Will Learn From Playing Chess:
Develop Friends and Socialization SkillsImproved Critical Thinking SkillsLearns To Deal with Life's Ups and Downs Because We Will Not Win Every GameThat Making Mistakes are OK as These Are How We LearnThat With Perseverance and Correct Training, They Can Accomplish Any Dream(s) They HaveBONUS?? KIDS LOVE TO PLAY!
(Even those who thought they wouldn't!)
1st Annual American Youth Chess Festival!
January 16-19, 2015
Atrium Hotel, Irvine, CA. 92612
(hotel across street from OC John Wayne Airport; 5 minute
walk after departing plane)
2nd Annual Top 100 USCF Rating
(January 16-17, 2015)
American Youth Chess Championships
(January 18-19, 2015)
Click Here For All Information
Current HCA Students on
Top 100 USCF Rating Lists
- Elbert Zeng 7 & Under, #96, USCF Rating 1025
- Samarth Das 7 & Under, #91, USCF Rating 1037
- Reagan Pearl 7 & Under, #25, USCF Rating 1366
- Rianne Ke 8 & Under, #18, USCF Rating of 1637
- Gordon McNeill 12 & Under, #47, USCF Rating of 1899
- Benjamin Quincey 18 & Under, #90, USCF Rating of 1905
- Alex Wilde 18 & Under #98, USCF Rating 1877
- 4/1/2014 - This coming weekend, 4 of our students will be competing in the US High School Championship. I want to wish them, "Good Luck". We will still be conducting our normal class and tournament schedule at HCA on Saturday and Sunday.
- 4/2/2014 - I have had a few questions regarding our Spring Break Camp regarding, "Do I have to have my child attend all week?" The answer is you are able to come when you choose. You also have the choice to pick a full day or the half day options. Registration is available at the link under "Camps". The Spring Break Camp is being offered on April 14-18.
- 4/2/2014 - I understand from a few people that our Julia Hsing went an undefeated 5-0 last Saturday to win 1st place in the Booster section at the 1st National Girls Invitational Qualifier in Laguna Hills. Congratulations Julia! We are proud of you!
- 4/4/2014 - The US High School Championships are underway in San Diego. From HCA, Daniel Pascoe, Gordon McNeill, Satvik Chennareddy, Ahryan Ahsan, Tara Yaghmei, and Pranathi Kollolli are competing! I am rooting for you guys! If you would like to follow the results this weekend, here is the link: http://www.alchess.com/chess/14/hs/
- 4/5/2014 - Coach Daniel has been keeping me updated. He tells me Gordon McNeill just beat one of the best young players in all of California, a master rated 2287 in round 3. Congratulations Gordon! This is quite an accomplishment as your opponent is a very strong player!
- 4/7/2014 - Just a reminder of our Spring Break Camp next week. We have had several communicate they will be at camp. I look forward to a productive week next week. These camps are where big improvements are made due to the many hours of instruction, training, and USCF rated games with review.
- 4/7/2014 - I am excited to hear two other of our students, Nathan and Sam Weber competed in the National HS Champ as well. Nathan won his first game against a player rated over 1300 (from New York) and Sam won 2 games from students who are rated over 700! Congratulations Nathan and Sam! I am also happy to hear the whole Weber family had a great experience! The other thing I am happy for for all of our students is regardless of their results, they have all improved just by competing. These Nationals are truly great experiences! My congratulations to everyone!
- 4/13/2014 - Just a reminder we begin our Spring Break Camp tomorrow. We go each day in two sessions...8am-12:30pm and 12:30pm-5pm.
- 4/13/2014 - Another reminder that April 15 is our cut off for early bird registration into our May 4 American Stars Scholastic Championship.
- 4/18/2014 - I am being asked if we will be open this weekend due to the Easter holiday. Yes, we will be open for our full schedule on both Saturday and Sunday.
- 4/18/2014 - We finished with 16 campers coming to our Spring Break Camp. Everyone trained very hard and everyone is working on their next levels of improvement. We had 10 rounds of USCF rated play as ell.
- 5/2/2104 - Here are a few questions I commonly get about my regional tournaments (Like the American Stars this coming Sunday). I hope they help.
Q1. Is this an elimination tournament?
A1. No, everyone plays all games and the 6 players with the most wins receive the place trophies. I say, "Place" because we also award club trophies in each section as well.
Q2.Does my child have to play all games or can I register for specific rounds?
A2.While your child is welcome to play in as many games (rounds) as he/she wishes, the trophies are awarded based on number of wins. Non-played games hurt with regards to this.
Q3. What time is this competition finished?
A3. This depends on the section your child is in. The Non-Rated, Under 400, and Under 700 sections finishing by 2pm with the order usually being Non-Rated, then Under 400, then Under 700. The Under 1000, Under 1300 and Open sections finish usually by 5pm with the order being Under 1000, then Under 1300, finally the Open finishing last.
- 5/18/2014 - Been having questions about whether or not we are open for normal schedule next weekend due to Memorial Day? Yes, we will have our full schedule of classes and tournaments.
- 5/23/2014 - I am beginning a new Friday Night Chess Club beginning June 6. It has 3 components to it. 1. A class for all to learn from. 2. Practice games 3. Official USCF Rated Blitz tournament. Please click here for all details. I am offering half of registration for the whole month of June (exception June 13 as I will be in Las Vegas to coach our students in the Vegas Chess Festival).
- 6/9/2014 - 50 students participated in our 5th Annual Dewain Barber Scholastic. We had 1 National Master, 1 Expert, and 7 Hexes that had very competitive games. Here are the winners:
Non-Rated Section (8 Players)
1st Place Trophy - Eric Feng 6-1
2nd Place Trophy - Ankita Yadav - 5-2
3rd Place Trophy - 4-3
USCF Rated Section (42 Players)
Hex 1: 1st Place - NM Joshua Sheng - 4-0; Trophy + $500 College Scholarship
Hex 2: 1st Place - Artem Kiryukhin - 3-1; Trophy + $100 HCA Scholarship
Hex 3: 1st Place - Eric Gao - 3.5-.5; Trophy + $100 HCA Scholarship
Hex 4: 1st Place - Jonathan Chang - 4-0; Trophy + $100 HCA Scholarship
Hex 5: 1st Place - Artem Kiryukhin - 3-1; Trophy + $100 HCA Scholarship
Hex 5: 1st Place - Wallace Hwang- 4-0; Trophy + $100 HCA Scholarship
Hex 6: 1st Place - Sacaar Jain - 5-0; Trophy + $100 HCA Scholarship
Hex 7: 1st Place - Jeffrey Yang - 4-1; Trophy + $100 HCA Scholarship
All results can be found here.
- 6/11/2014 - A reminder we will be open for our regular schedule from Friday - Sunday.
- 6/11/2014 - Our 2014 HCA Summer Championship is all set for August 3rd at HCA. Everyone, no matter their current skill level will have an appropriate section for them to compete and do well in.
- 6/26/14 - Summer Camp has begun this week with 9 campers. A reminder we have our morning session from 8am-12:30pm and then our Afternoon session from 12:30pm-5pm. You can also register for individual days or all week.
- 7/6/2014 - Gordon and Rianne are both doing very well in the Pacific Southwest Open in Los Angeles this weekend. Gordon has won every game except one, which was a draw. Rianne has 3 wins, one draw, and one loss. They are both playing on board one, against each other in the final round....bummer and I hope they both win and no one loses! They are both incredibly strong! And to think they are only 11 and 8 years of age! Congrats to both of you and we are all rooting for you here at HCA!
- 7/7/2014 - Final Results - Pacific Southwest Open (Los Angeles)
1st Place Under 1800 - Gordon McNeill 5.5 pts
Tie for 4th Place Under 1800 - Rianne Ke 3.5 pts.
Congratulations to both Gordon and Rianne on great results!
- 7/7/2014 - Just a reminder we have our 2014 HCA Summer Championship coming up on August 10. Early registration (early bird) is until July 23rd.
- 9/5/2014 - Very excited about my new chess festival. Since Mr. Barber and I did not receive the bid again this year for the National Jr. Chess Congress, I designed a festival I have been thinking about for a long time. The other cool thing about this is a part of any profit will go towards college scholarships at Mr. Barber's event in June 2015. My 2nd Annual Top 100 USCF Rating List Invitational will be on January 16-17th and the 1st Annual American Youth Championship will be at the Orange County Airport Atrium Hotel on January 18-19th, 2015. All information is here.
- 9/5/2014 - I am excited for one of our students, Rianne Ke. She is competing in the most prestigious scholastic tournament in the world, The World Youth Championship in South Africa coming up in the next few weeks. All results can be found here.
- 10/1/14 - This Saturday we begin our 2nd Calculation class from 6:15pm-8:15pm. This is the same class as Monday Night but with one less hour. Everyone is invited.
- 10/6/14 - We are offering our 2014 Thanksgiving Camp on November 24-26, 2014. Please click here. Thank you.
- 10/6/14 - Our new format for our popular Monday Night Class is found here.There are now two days for this important class.